Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Eggs-cellent Gathering

I have belonged to the Scrambled Eggs writers group for around seven years now. It had been going for several years before I joined and has grown over the years to include 10 members. Some portion of the group meets just about every week for a couple of hours on Monday evenings, though some weeks the meeting takes the form of attendance at a poetry reading, or workshop class.




This Monday night we were invited for a soup dinner along with the meeting at PE's little red farmhouse in the country.














The soup was hot, the corn bread was baked, the table was set, and one by one the Eggs rolled in.









For the first time in a long time, we had a full carton: all the Eggs showed up.





We decided we'd better record the moment.






I can't say enough about how encouraging it has been to write with the support of a group of friends who's writing work I admire and who's opinion of my own work I value. We are constantly bringing new forms, writers, publications, places to submit, workshops, perspectives...to each other's attention. We've all stretched, grown and found permission to saunter or ramble or run with our writing within the group and when we are writing in our own little "garrets". Bringing work to share on Mondays, or, sometimes in my case, mailing it in from the road, is one of the things that keeps us putting pen to paper, or fingertips to keyboard.

The Scrambled Eggs, Monday Meeting, May 3, 2010



If you are a writer slogging away without the benefit of a writers group, I highly recommend you find one or start one of your own.


It will bring a comforting light to your writing life.

x0,
N2

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

What love I see.

Laura Paine Carr said...

Oh those 'Eggs!
Just going to add a little note: it has been and continues to be a most amazing group of writers. AND I love the remarkable photo of the fig at the end. Wow.
xoxoLC

Anonymous said...

and I see an .American friend at home with her friends and looking happy and fulfilled . . .obviously G. Marx was just a miserable fellow really as he did not want to belong to any group that would have him as a member . . . maybe I am wrong too!!

N2 said...

Ms Moon - Yes, love + friendship + honest writing critique = wonderful combination =o)

LC - So glad you pulled me into this group, 6 or 7 years ago now, isn't it?

Anon - Is that you, D? Seems like one of your wry comments. Good to have you back. We've missed you 'round here.

Mother's Day Hugs from San Francisco! x0 N2

Kathleen Scott said...

Since we got back, I've been pushed with work & company. Glad to catch a minute to catch up with you.

How did the Eggs get their name?

Sounds like a wonderful group--for friendship and work. I don't know how I'd get through sticky story points if I didn't have Denny to to talk with.

Bethany said...

oh, you are all so happy, fun looking. loved this peek into your writer's group. lucky you. lucky them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...